The Palm Family in Schorndorf: Pharmacists, Entrepreneurs, Constructors
Celebrating 375 Years of Dr. Palm´s Pharmacy at the Market Square of Schorndorf
Residential and Commercial Building Marktplatz 2 73614 Schorndorf
approx. 1570: Settlement of the Palm Family in Schorndorf.
1633: Oldest proof of a pharmacist amongst the Palm Family members in Schorndorf.
At August 24 1644 Johann Philipp Palm (1607 – 1665) buys a burnt down house at the Market Square. The date 1533 at the southwest corner of the house refers to the previous house, of which only the ground floor survived the Thirty Year´s War.
At October 15 1646 Palm also buys the neighbouring building
Between 1646 and 55 Palm sells three vineyards to be able to begin building. First, a new house at the Market Square is erected, later on the neighbouring house is developed as a seperate building. Both are of rich and highly decorative half timbered framework and might have cost a fortune.
1696: Jakob Christoph Palm connects the two seperate buildings into one.
1735: The premises of the inner ground floor are connected, too.
approx. 1800: Pharmacist and Mayor Philipp Friedrich Palm lines the half timbered framework with plastering.
1896: Pharmacist and member of the municipal council Theodor Friedrich Palm paints the facade with colourful pictures of important local and medical personalities.
1931 - 33: Pharmacist PhD Johann Philipp Palm gives order to uncover the half timbered framework again. In order to stabilise the building, steel girders are integrated into the ceiling of the ground floor - a fatal decission.
1951: Further renovations are due. PhD Maria and Philipp Palm refresh the facade of the building and change the premises of the ground floor by moving walls and pillars to gain a more spacious dispensary.
1975 - 79: The building´s statics has totally gone to pieces. Deep cracks and shiftings in walls and ceilings leave the house unliveable. Modern static measuring methods reveal a century-old error: The house does not rest upon the concrete stone walls of its predecessor, but is only built upon rubble. By interfering into the building´s statics again and again, its walls have been forced apart by its own weight and the whole building is likely to collaps.
A fierce and not always fair public controversy arises upon the question, if the old house, that had been declared a heritage site long before, should be safed by all costs or a new, more practicable one could be errected.
Pharmacists and Entrepreneurs PhD Maria and Johann Philipp Palm finally decide to build a new ferroconcrete building and integrate the historic half timbered framework into its facade. The decision means an enormous financial burden for the couple.
2008: The Palm-Foundation is the new owner of the building and takes care of its rich architectural heritage.
2019: Family, Foundation and Pharmacy celebrate 375 years in the very heart of Schorndorf. The premises of Dr. Palm´s Pharmacy now combine historical architecture and three centuries of family spirit with the most modern medical facilities. It is still - and will always be - devoted to the town of Schorndorf, its inhabitants and all those, who seek help and council.